Our Career and Professional Development Center (CPDC) Team is gearing up for another exciting academic year here at Nichols College. With our annual Employer Relations Corner, we hope to share a bit about what is happening in our community, engagement opportunities for employers, upcoming events, and to share in further conversations of how we can best partner with you in the upcoming academic year. We are so thankful for our employer partnerships and wish to keep the conversation going in the year ahead.
When we think of the school year ahead the question quickly arises of, “How do we best create and engage our meaningful employer partnerships?” Besides On-Campus Interviewing (OCI), Information Tables, classroom engagement, site visits, and collaboration with so many departments here at Nichols College, the first thing that comes to mind is events. Besides all of the engagement opportunities listed below, please know that we are looking for contacts to engage and network with our students (and sometimes alumni) for a variety of events.
With another year upon us on The Hill, it is an important time to look back at all that we have been a part of in the 2017-2018 school year. Here are a few things that come to mind:
- 100% of all students (business and liberal arts) graduating in 2021 and beyond will now have to complete some form of experiential learning – which for most will be in the form of an internship.
- Handshake is now our recruitment platform within the Career and Professional Development Center. We have seen a large increase in employer partnerships and opportunities, and our students have had nothing but positive feedback. Click the hyperlink to create your account and/or to check out the platform today.
- 94% of the class of 2017 was employed full-time or headed to graduate school within six months after their May graduation date. A huge THANK YOU to all employers that hired our Bison from the class of 2017 and to those that continue to promote opportunities within our community. We are currently hard at work assisting the class of 2018 with their employment, advanced education, and professional goals.
- Our latest Employer Relations Advisory Board consists of three members from various organizations. The mission of this board is to collaborate on hiring trends, recruitment practices, and to have first knowledge of professional initiatives happening at Nichols College in regards to CPDC and the Professional Development Seminar program. If this is something you wish to learn more about, please reach out to a member of the CPDC Team, as we are currently taking nominations for a fourth member.
- We strongly encourage and appreciate when organizations/contacts sponsor events and initiatives within our community. This is a great way to further promote the brand of your organization and customize events to your specific employment/recruitment needs. Some sponsorship generated events/initiatives that come to mind thus far are our annual Etiquette Dinner and Bison Boutique.
- We are currently a team of three in our Center (not for long – new member coming soon!). Check out our staff page to learn more about our roles within the Center and employer relations concentrations. We divide employer partnerships within CPDC in order to better serve all members of our community.
We are thankful for your time and look forward to partnering with you. Wishing you nothing but great things in the 18-19 academic year and beyond!
Liz Horgan, Abby (Gould) DePasquale, and Jenna Parker
Career and Professional Development Center Team