The 2020 Nichols College Accounting and Finance Career & Internship Fair is quickly approaching on Tuesday, September 15th from 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. We are so excited for our student and alumni Bison to attend this first ever virtual event. Consider reviewing the tips and tricks below for the upcoming Fair.
Registration/Additional Info: https://bit.ly/3jT2H3D
In Advance of the Fair:
- Register with the link above! There are group sessions and 1:1 appointments available. This event is held completely via Handshake (not Zoom, Teams, etc.). You are welcome to sign up for as many group sessions and 1:1 appointments as you would like.
- Group Sessions: This is meant for employers to meet with groups of students at the same time. Similar to an information session, employer contacts may prepare presentations about their companies, programs, and frequently asked questions.
- 1:1 Appointments: This is your opportunity to speak one on one with employers. A great time to ask questions, give your elevator speech, and/or provide a copy of your resume.
- Create your schedule early – think about the impression that makes.
- Be sure to check out what employers are looking for and hiring for before taking 1:1 slots.
- Research each employer you commit to. Consider reviewing their websites, LinkedIn profiles, Handshake pages, social media channels, etc.
- Prepare a few questions for each employer. Three questions per employer is a great benchmark!
- Have your resume reviewed by a member of the Career and Professional Development Center (CPDC) Team by reaching out to your preferred career coach or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org in advance.
- Practice your personal elevator pitch – introducing yourself (present/past/future is a great technique).
- Update your Handshake profile and make sure your resume is uploaded. Make sure your profile is visible for employers to see!
- Decide what you are going to wear – business professional from the waist up as video will be used.
- Bison Boutique: The Bison Boutique has a wide variety of professional items/clothing. Stop by CPDC Fels 201 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to reserve your complimentary business clothes. No appointment is necessary!
- Determine where you are going to be. Make sure you select a quiet space with excellent Wi-Fi.
- CPDC Conference Rooms: These conference rooms are available on the day of the event. Please email CPDC@nichols.edu to see if the room is available for your time slot(s). You are welcome to bring your own laptop/tablet or use the computer in the conference room.
- Develop your 5 Point Agenda. What are five things that each employer you speak with should know about you before the conversation is over? As this is a Fair, focus on the top three items.
Day of the Fair:
- Test technology early. Make sure you have access to your webcam, microphone, earbuds, etc.
- Have your resume readily available. Print one out for you and make sure you have a digital copy available for the employer.
- Remember a water bottle. Staying hydrated is important and it is common to drink water during these types of events!
- Put a “Do Not Disturb” sign on door if applicable.
- Head to Handshake a few minutes prior to the start of your group session(s) and/or 1:1 appointment(s). You will need to log into these sessions via Handshake.
- Jot down notes during conversations to help you remember.
- Ask for the email address of each person you speak with and send a personalized thank you email message after. Typically, we recommend writing hardcopy thank you notes as well. However, email only is the way to go during COVID-19.
Helpful Resources for Attendees: