Nichols College has been honored by Colleges of Distinction, an advocate for schools whose undergraduate experiences are grounded in a philosophy of engagement, teaching, community, and outcomes. As an additional honor, Colleges of Distinction has also awarded Nichols College in the area of Career Development
Few questions are going to be on students’ minds more often than some version of “What am I going to do after graduation?” Conveniently, schools awarded the Career Development badge have shown that they are well equipped to help their students graduate with confidence. The badge recognizes schools with comprehensive four-year plans, advising, and more.
Nichols College offers resources and provides unparalleled support throughout every stage of career exploration, development, and application,” said Tyson Schritter, Chief Operating Officer at Colleges of Distinction. These resources and support include:
- Integrated Career Exploration and Preparation –
- The Career and Professional Development Center is introduced during new student orientation and during the first semester.
- The office partners with academic departments to include their resources in the classroom and help guide students toward the services they should be seeking at different points throughout their academic career. Career and major exploration are integrated across all fields of study.
- Accessible Programs and Training –
- The career center’s services can be accessed online 24/7 and by appointment for one-on-one counseling.
- These resources include, but are not limited to, self-assessments, résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing, and networking.
- The office also hosts events and workshops to help students receive feedback and job search skills.
- Career-Centered Staff –
- Assessments – The institution offers both career and personal inventories to help students better understand themselves as well as their major and career interests. Whether career services are centralized or decentralized, the institution makes trained career counselors and/or coaches available to review every student’s assessment.
- Employer Relations – The school has at least one dedicated staff member for employer relations and corporate partnerships. Furthermore, the university helps connect students and alumni through mentorship and internship programs. Alumni can use most services for free.
“The Career Development recognition goes beyond mock interviews and job board postings,” said Schritter. Nichols College brings career readiness into the classroom, making intentional connections between students of all majors and the careers they pursue after graduation. It’s the kind of innovative, ingrained career preparation strategies that make Nichols College’s outstanding Career Center worthy of praise.”
About Colleges of Distinction
Since 2000, Colleges of Distinction has been committed to honoring schools throughout the U.S. for true excellence in higher education. The member schools within the Colleges of Distinction consortium distinguish themselves through their dedicated focus on the undergraduate experience. Its website provides dynamic college profiles, customized tools, and resources for students, parents, and high school counselors. For more information, and to learn how to become a College of Distinction, visit CollegesofDistinction.com.