Position Title: Guest Relations & Parade Security Intern (multiple positions)
Department: Public Safety & Security
Supervisor: Director of Public Safety & Security
Position Type: Unpaid Internship
Priority Application Deadline: March 31, 2021
Timeframe: September 17 – October 3, 2021
Guest Relations & Parade Security Interns have the opportunity to understand the operation of a not-for-profit corporation that serves approximately 3 million customers annually from the perspective of safety and security. Guest relations & Parade Security interns will receive comprehensive training on the operations of 175 acre grounds, how the Eastern States Exposition (ESE) works, and how ESE maintains a safe and secure facility during ESE’s largest fundraiser, the Big E fair from September 17 – October 4, 2021. During the Big E, Guest Relations & Parade Security Interns provide walking escort for the daily parade in the late afternoon; additionally interns will be cross-trained in multiple areas to provide assistance at security booths, admission entrances, Lost People stations, parking lots, and more.
The goal of this position is to provide students with the opportunity to experience large-venue operation from the public safety perspective. All students who commit to the minimum 8 shifts will receive 17-day pass to the fair, two guest passes, and additional on-site benefits ranging from food vouchers, circus admission, and other perks (additional benefits vary).
- Escort parade participants, vehicles, and floats through the daily parade route, ensuring spectators maintain a safe distance.
- Interact with guests in a friendly and professional way.
- Address guest complaints and refer to the appropriate resource for resolution.
- Provide information about facilities, programs and other services.
- Must be available for on-site training prior to opening of the fair (dates TBD, will occur within first 2 weeks of September)
- Must be available for a minimum of 6 parade shifts, 3 hours per shift (Monday – Thursday 5-8pm, Friday – Sunday 4-7pm) and at least 2 additional weekend shifts (10am – 4pm)
- Excellent communicator.
- Reliable and customer-oriented.
- Ability to think critically and problem solve.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have completed a minimum of two semesters of college course work (Criminal Justice majors preferred).
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time in varied weather conditions.
- Ability to lift or move objects weighing 25 lbs.
- Ability to climb stairs throughout shift.
Please fill out our online application form – https://tinyurl.com/ESEInterns – and include your resume and cover letter. Only completed applications that include a resume and cover letter will be considered. Positions are open until filled. Questions regarding the application process can be addressed to employment@TheBigE.com.
Eastern States Exposition (ESE) is a not-for-profit corporation committed to excellence in providing year-round opportunities for the development and promotion of agriculture, education, industry and family entertainment while preserving our New England heritage.
ESE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability or handicap, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, veterans or military status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgendered status, results of genetic testing, or any membership in any group protected by applicable laws.