Marcum LLP is seeking Tax Staff to join our growing and well-established national firm in our New Haven, Hartford & Greenwich, CT, Providence, RI and Boston, MA offices. The position requires a high-energy, experienced professional, with strong interpersonal skills, ability to work independent and with a team, along with a strong desire to be willing to take on new challenges and responsibilities.
The Tax Staff position will work as part of a multidisciplinary team. The Tax Staff will develop work papers, determine groupings of balance sheet items and make decision on executing the completion of accounting and tax services for businesses, individual clients, and trust and estates. Under the direct supervision of a Senior, Supervisor, or Manager, the Staff will receive appropriate guidance and training to complete assignments.
- Prepare federal and state corporate, individual, trusts and estates, and partnership returns, including exercising professional judgment with respect to issue identification to develop solutions to tax issues in returns
- Research tax issues and legislation.
- Interpret tax code.
- Provide and maintain proper documentation to support tax return calculations.
- Analyze depreciation to determine proper methodology for tax impact on client engagements to decide best treatment of disposed for obsolescence and new fixed assets placed in service.
- Make projections on future tax liabilities based on variable options to make client recommendations as part of the tax planning process.
- Interact with client personnel regarding tax return information, deadlines, etc. and keep team informed on status.
- Look for opportunities to provide additional services to clients
- Keep current on professional announcements
- Proactively participate in professional development opportunities, i.e. Mentoring Program, Coaching, CPE’s, etc.
- Initiate and develop relationship with appropriate levels of the client’s management team
- Conduct oneself professionally as a representative of the Firm
- Work beyond standard hours is expected throughout the year.
- Provide training to co-workers on technical areas of tax expertise.
- Give insight and thought leadership to corporate publications on tax matters.
- Minimal travel to client sites may be required.
- Additional responsibilities, not listed above may be expected as needed.
- Must have strong technology skills and be proficient with all aspects of Microsoft Office. Working knowledge and experience with GoSystems Tax RS, ProSystem fx Tax and ProSystem fx Engagement are a plus.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills and be able to listen effectively.
- Work well under pressure; able to meet deadlines with accuracy
- Excellent analytical, organization and problem solving sills are a must
- Ability to learn processes quickly and be able to apply that knowledge to engagements.
- Flexibility and openness to work on a variety of assignments; be able to multi-task.
- Basic knowledge of federal and state tax compliance.
- Team player with desire to be an active participant within the organization.
- Have a strong desire to maintain a customer service approach focused on exceeding expectations in all areas.
- Knowledge of basic tax laws/Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- At least 0-3 years of relevant tax experience.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Accounting form an accredited college or university (minimum of 150 college credits required).
- M.S. in Taxation (preferred)
- Must have CPA license or be eligible to sit for the CPA exam.