Job Purpose: The Merrimack County Department of Corrections is accepting applications for full time Correctional Officers to perform duties involving the care, custody, and control of inmates.
Essential Job Functions to include:
- Supervise all inmate activities to ensure a safe and secure environment both inside and outside the Department facilities.
- Process incoming inmates
- Maintain Control Room logs
- Answer phones and receive visitors
- Inspect cells, dayrooms, kitchen, dining room, visiting room and other areas for security breaches
- Transport inmates inside and outside facilities.
- Conduct inmate counts.
- Other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Ability to demonstrate a clear understanding of correctional facility policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with administrative staff, sergeants, corporals, corrections personnel, inmates, their families and the general public.
- Ability to repetitive or routine duties. Involves the exercise of judgment in the analysis of facts or conditions regarding individual problems or transactions to determine what actions should be taken, within the limits of standard practice.
- Ability to express or exchange ideas verbally and in writing.
- Ability to prepare written materials and to analyze data.
- Ability to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move individuals or objects.
- Ability to pass the physical and mental tests required for participation in Group II Retirement.
- Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Over the age of 18 years
Must submit an Employment Application, resume and cover letter
A drug screen, criminal history & background check will be required of all conditional hires.
Equal Employment Opportunity