USL Work Experience Program 2021
Job Title: Digital Services UWEP
Position Type: Internship – For College Credit Hours Only
Semester: Fall 2021
Location: Remote/In-Person Hybrid for Fall 2021 Semester
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
United Soccer League is one of the largest operators of soccer properties in the United States. USL currently owns and operates a Division II professional league (USL – Championship), a Division III professional league (League One), a pre-professional U23 league (League Two), and an elite level youth soccer league (Super Y League). Headquartered in Tampa, Florida, the USL provides unparalleled club support with a growing team of more than 65 professionals across 17 departments, ranging from operations to digital, communications, and club services.
Under the direction and guidance of USL Executives and Leaders (mentors), the USL Work Experience Program (UWEP) provides students with the unique opportunity to gain practical sport management experience in a professional sports league setting. By working on various strategic projects and initiatives, UWEP participants will gain hands on experience with league staff as well as its member teams.
Participants are tasked with and responsible for working within a specialized department but will interact with all league departments across the organization including: finance, business development, digital, marketing, team services, analytics, and more, with the ultimate goal of providing well-rounded practical work experience in sports to students.
Under the direction of the Digital Services team, the Digital Services UWEP supports the digital department by ensuring an overall positive user experience and user interface for all three league websites and the 30+ club sites within the USL Digital Network. The Participant will assume an integral role in the placement of content for all league sites as well as the enforcement of league guidelines across the network.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with the monitoring of club websites to ensure compliance with league guidelines
- Work alongside the Digital Services team to generate and organize statistical, team and player-specific pages within the USL website platform
- Identify, build and publish fan data case studies paired with commercial models to be used as marketing materials for clubs
- Activate sponsors and digital campaigns on the USL Digital Network on behalf of partners. Also, identify opportunities for further partner integration on the websites and apps
- Update internal website pages with roster, schedule, and information changes
- Assist with the communication of player, team and match information to the league’s Official Data Provider – Opta
- Execute on-page and on-site SEO best practices as directed
- Develop ideas for content and layout on the official sites of USL League Two and Super Y League
- Act in a quality assurance role to ensure a uniform display and maintain functionality
- Utilize HTML and CSS to create page elements for league sites
- Work with other areas of the business – communications, marketing, analytics etc. – to accomplish their web goals
- Participants must be working towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree in related field and/or training and must certify that they are able to receive college credit from an accredited college or university for their participation.
- Solid computer skills and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint are a must.
- Basic working knowledge of HTML skills is necessary.
- Comfortable augmenting (re-sizing, cropping etc.) images in Adobe Photoshop and PixIr/Fotor.
- Excellent verbal communication skills are required.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must. Must have a “team-first” mentality with an eagerness to learn.
- Should be extremely organized and detail oriented, with a focus on quality and consistency.
- Ability to work under fluid deadlines and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Knowledge of sports/soccer is preferred, but not required.