USL Work Experience Program 2021
Job Title: Digital Solutions UWEP
Position Type: Internship – For College Credit Hours Only
Semester: Fall 2021
Location: Remote/In-Person Hybrid for Fall 2021 Semester
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
United Soccer League is one of the largest operators of soccer properties in the United States. USL currently owns and operates a Division II professional league (USL – Championship), a Division III professional league (League One), a pre-professional U23 league (League Two), and an elite level youth soccer league (Super Y League). Headquartered in Tampa, Florida, the USL provides unparalleled club support with a growing team of more than 65 professionals across 17 departments, ranging from operations to digital, communications, and club services.
Under the direction and guidance of USL Executives and Leaders (mentors), the USL Work Experience Program (UWEP) provides students with the unique opportunity to gain practical sport management experience in a professional sports league setting. By working on various strategic projects and initiatives, UWEP participants will gain hands on experience with league staff as well as its member teams.
Participants are tasked with and responsible for working within a specialized department but will interact with all league departments across the organization including: finance, business development, digital, marketing, team services, analytics, and more, with the ultimate goal of providing well-rounded practical work experience in sports to students.
Under the direction of the Digital Solutions team, the Digital Solutions UWEP supports the digital department by ensuring an overall positive user experience and user interface for the USL Mobile App and 20+ club apps within the USL App Network. Additionally, the Participant will assume an integral role in collecting and analyzing user and behavioral data in an effort to further the USL’s understanding of who their fanbase is and how they interact with our brand.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with the monitoring of club mobile apps to ensure compliance with league guidelines
- Assist clubs within the USL App Network in creating exclusive in-app content and corresponding reports measuring success
- Analyze behavioral data within the USL Mobile App to help improve user experiences and shape best communication practices
- Analyze user and behavioral data across the USL App Network and share key insights with clubs on a monthly basis
- Identify, build, and publish fan data case studies paired with commercial models to be used as marketing materials for clubs
- Identify potential 3rd party vendors to integrate new technology into mobile apps across the USL App Network
- Activate sponsors and digital campaigns on the USL App Network on behalf of partners
- Identify opportunities for further partner integration on the websites and apps
- Act in a quality assurance role to ensure a uniform display and maintain functionality
- Work with other areas of the business – communications, marketing, analytics etc. to accomplish their web goals
- Participants must be working towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree in related field and/or training and must certify that they are able to receive college credit from an accredited college or university for their participation.
- With the UWEP program being remote this semester, participants must have access to a computer or laptop with reliable internet connection.
- Solid computer skills and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint are a must.
- Excellent verbal communication skills are required.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must. Must have a “team-first” mentality with an eagerness to learn.
- Should be extremely organized and detail oriented, with a focus on quality and consistency.
- Ability to work under fluid deadlines and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Knowledge of sports/soccer is preferred, but not required.