USL Work Experience Program 2021
Job Title: Graphic Design UWEP
Position Type: Internship – For College Credit Hours Only
Semester: Fall 2021
Location: Remote/In-Person Hybrid for Fall 2021 Semester
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
United Soccer League is one of the largest operators of soccer properties in the United States. USL currently owns and operates a Division II professional league (USL – Championship), a Division III professional league (League One), a pre-professional U23 league (League Two), and an elite level youth soccer league (Super Y League). Headquartered in Tampa, Florida, the USL provides unparalleled club support with a growing team of more than 65 professionals across 17 departments, ranging from operations to digital, communications, and club services.
Under the direction and guidance of USL Executives and Leaders (mentors), the USL Work Experience Program (UWEP) provides students with the unique opportunity to gain practical sport management experience in a professional sports league setting. By working on various strategic projects and initiatives, UWEP participants will gain hands on experience with league staff as well as its member teams.
Participants are tasked with and responsible for working within a specialized department but will interact with all league departments across the organization including: finance, business development, digital, marketing, team services, analytics, and more, with the ultimate goal of providing well-rounded practical work experience in sports to students.
Under the direction of the Creative Services team, the Graphic Design UWEP supports the Creative Services department by assisting with the design of graphics for web, social and other marketing media outlets. The Participant will assume an integral role in the production of graphic design and related materials.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work alongside the Graphic Design team to create graphic design and related material for use across multiple platforms
- Create cutouts of player headshots
- Create templates for use over several mediums
- Assist in other projects as assigned
- Analyze how to enhance the impact of graphic design within a larger communications strategy
- Assist other departments and operational areas with graphic design requests
- Participants must be working towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree in related field and/or training and must certify that they are able to receive college credit from an accredited college or university for their participation.
- Solid computer skills and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint are a must.
- Excellent knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Proficient with Apple/Mac Operating Systems and equipment.
- Excellent verbal communication skills are required.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must. Must have a “team-first” mentality with an eagerness to learn.
- Should be extremely organized and detail oriented, with a focus on quality and consistency.
- Ability to work under fluid deadlines and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Knowledge of sports/soccer is preferred, but not required.
For consideration, all interested participants must submit 3-5 pieces of work or an online portfolio that highlights skills and abilities, in addition to a current resume.