USL Work Experience Program 2021
Job Title: Inclusion & Diversity UWEP
Position Type: Internship – For College Credit Hours Only
Semester: Fall 2021
Location: Remote/In-Person Hybrid for Fall 2021 Semester
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
United Soccer League is one of the largest operators of soccer properties in the United States. USL currently owns and operates a Division II professional league (USL – Championship), a Division III professional league (League One), a pre-professional U23 league (League Two), and an elite level youth soccer league (Super Y League). Headquartered in Tampa, Florida, the USL provides unparalleled club support with a growing team of more than 65 professionals across 17 departments, ranging from operations to digital, communications, and club services.
Under the direction and guidance of USL Executives and Leaders (mentors), the USL Work Experience Program (UWEP) provides students with the unique opportunity to gain practical sport management experience in a professional sports league setting. By working on various strategic projects and initiatives, UWEP participants will gain hands on experience with league staff as well as its member teams.
Participants are tasked with and responsible for working within a specialized department but will interact with all league departments across the organization including: finance, business development, digital, marketing, team services, analytics, and more, with the ultimate goal of providing well-rounded practical work experience in sports to students.
Under the direction of the People Department as well as other internal participants, the Inclusion & Diversity UWEP will support inclusion, diversity, and equity efforts within USL. The Inclusion & Diversity UWEP will attend a variety of DE&I committee and subcommittee meetings to assist in data aggregation and research and development for committee consideration.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate, schedule, and attend various DE&I committee meetings, partnership calls, etc.
- Provide meeting agendas, potential discussion topics, and scribe meeting notes to provide post-meeting recaps.
- Create meeting presentation to present information in a visually dynamic way.
- Perform market research on a variety of DE&I topics, potential partners, organizations, etc.
- Aggregate market research data to provide recaps and suggestions for DE&I efforts to committee members.
- Participants must be working towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree in related field and/or training and must certify that they are able to receive college credit from an accredited college or university for their participation.
- With the UWEP program being remote this semester, participants must have access to a computer or laptop with reliable internet connection.
- Must have a passion for inclusion, diversity, and equity efforts.
- Solid computer skills and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint are a must.
- Strong analytic skills and ability to work proficiently within MS Excel are necessary.
- Excellent verbal communication skills are required.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must. Must have a “team-first” mentality with an eagerness to learn.
- Should be extremely organized and detail oriented, with a focus on quality and consistency.
- Must be able to maintain and abide by organizational confidentiality standards.
- Ability to work under fluid deadlines and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Knowledge of sports/soccer is preferred, but not required.