USL Work Experience Program 2021
Job Title: USL Youth Development (Events & Special Projects)
Position Type: Internship – For College Credit Hours Only
Semester: Fall 2021
Location: In-Person for Fall 2021 Semester
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
United Soccer League is one of the largest operators of soccer properties in the United States. USL currently owns and operates a Division II professional league (USL – Championship), a Division III professional league (League One), a pre-professional U23 league (League Two), and an elite level youth soccer league (Super Y League). Headquartered in Tampa, Florida, the USL provides unparalleled club support with a growing team of more than 65 professionals across 17 departments, ranging from operations to digital, communications, and club services.
Under the direction and guidance of USL Executives and Leaders (mentors), the USL Work Experience Program (UWEP) provides students with the unique opportunity to gain practical sport management experience in a professional sports league setting. By working on various strategic projects and initiatives, UWEP participants will gain hands on experience with league staff as well as its member teams.
Participants are tasked with and responsible for working within a specialized department but will interact with all league departments across the organization including: finance, business development, digital, marketing, team services, analytics, and more, with the ultimate goal of providing well-rounded practical work experience in sports to students.
Under the direction of the USL Sr. Director of Youth Development, the USL-YD Events & Special Projects UWEP supports the Youth Development department by assisting with multiple functional areas of operations and event management. The Participant will assume an integral role in the administration and analysis of minimum standards, rules, and regulations tied to the USL Academy Cup events, while assisting with other related special projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with planning and execution of USL Academy Cup events
- Process player/coach registrations for each event
- Perform market research and compile reports when necessary
- Communicate with current and potential event participants and collect data on experience
- Determine operational needs and procedures and communicate them to the relevant parties
- Develop & explore new ideas to enhance and add value to USL Academy programming, initiatives, and overall club participation in the platform
- Perform other tasks as directed by the senior staff
- Participants must be working towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree in related field and/or training and must certify that they are able to receive college credit from an accredited college or university for their participation.
- With the UWEP program being remote this semester, participants must have access to a computer or laptop with reliable internet connection.
- Solid computer skills and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint are a must.
- Excellent verbal communication skills are required.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must. Must have a “team-first” mentality with an eagerness to learn.
- Should be extremely organized and detail oriented, with a focus on quality and consistency.
- Ability to work under fluid deadlines and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Knowledge of sports/soccer operations is required.
- Experience coaching and/or playing soccer is required.