Internships at Nichols: Overview and Reporting
Internships occur in the fall, spring, and summer here at Nichols College. Internships (Academic Internship, Research Associate Internship (RAI), Teaching Associate Internship (TAI), and Experiential Internship (not for credit)) can be submitted via Handshake. Please look through the attachments below . No paper copies will be accepted by the Registrar’s Office. The deadline to submit your internship for each semester is the add/drop deadline. A Petition Form is available for late files.
Step by step directions on how to report an experience/internship on Handshake can be found below (print and video). You will need to make sure that you locate all necessary items prior to starting the approval process (see Handshake for required items for each experience type and a preview can be found below) and it is best to have a digital copy so you can copy/paste the information right into Handshake. Handshake will require all of this information and you will not be able to start the approval process without it. Handshake does not accept attachments so please copy/paste relevant information.
For Academic Internships, please note that you need the following:
- Site Supervisor: You will need the first name, last name, title, phone number, and email address of the person supervising your internship at the actual internship site. If you do not have a site supervisor at this time, please reach out to the person who hired you for the role to inquire.
- Start/End Date and Hours Per Week: You need to know the start date and the end date of your internship. You will also need to know how many hours you are working per week. 120 hours are required for three credit academic internships and 150 hours per three academic credits are required for sport management students.
- Job Description: Please retrieve a digital description of your job responsibilities for your role. Most times, this list comes from the site supervisor (or job posting) and you will need to submit the list of responsibilities on Handshake. Screenshots and attachments will not work! Please copy/paste the job description.
- Faculty Sponsor: You will need to know the first name, last name and email address of who will be sponsoring your internship on campus. If you do not have a faculty sponsor at this time, please reach out to your academic advisor for guidance or a member of the CPDC team. The purpose of the faculty sponsor is to oversee the internship experience and to assign/monitor the academic requirements/learning outcomes. Please check in with your faculty sponsor to see what is expected of you (projects, logs, assignments, etc.).
For Teaching Associate Internships, please note that you need the following from your instructor that you are working with:
- Please provide the syllabus for the TAI. This is not the syllabus for the course. Instead, this is the Teaching Associate Intern (TAI) Syllabus and the exact template can be found above.
For Research Associate Internships, please note that you need the following from your instructor that you are working with:
- Please provide the syllabus for the RAI. This is not the syllabus for the course. Instead, this is the Research Associate Intern (RAI) Syllabus and the exact template can be found above.
Do not hesitate to reach out to a member of the Career and Professional Development Center team for assistance with the reporting process on Handshake. Reach out to your preferred career coach or email email@example.com.
**Nichols College does not suggest doing unpaid internships for zero academic credits due to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Internship standards and the Fact Sheet #71: HERE**
How to Videos
- Reporting an Academic Internship
- Reporting a Teaching Associate Internship
- Reporting a Research Associate Internship
- Reporting an Experiential Internship