Welcome to the International Student Career Community! This community was created to support our international students. Our goal in CPDC is to support our students in navigating career development; this community aims to provide specific resources to our international students in navigating the job search, the workplace and overall career development. CPDC is committed to supporting students and alumni in their Career Development. Use this page to:
- Explore career options
- Search Job boards to find exciting opportunities
- Read articles and success stories
- Explore career resources
- Discover professional organizations
- Execute and enrich your career development
Support Your Career Development
Job Board: My Visa Jobs
Job Board: OverseasJobs.Com
- Undergraduate CPT/Internship Registration Form (through Handshake at CPDC)
- Undergraduate/Graduate CPT Internship SEVIS registration Form
- Once the above is completed, you will be issued a new I-20 with your CPT information.
STEP 1: Complete Nichols 12-Month OPT Application (PDF)
STEP 2: Complete I-765 DRAFT Form (PDF) application for 12-month OPT
STEP 3: Submit above forms to the OPT Application Form for review
STEP 4: Schedule an appointment with the International Program office.
PLEASE NOTE: You MUST complete and submit the above documents BEFORE meeting with an advisor for your OPT review. During your meeting, you will be issued a new I-20 with OPT requested, which you must have BEFORE filing USCIS petition for work authorization.
CHANGE OF EMPLOYMENT: Submit OPT Employment Update Form if you are starting, ending, or changing jobs
CHANGE OF ADDRESS: Submit the F Change of Address Form if you move to a new house/apartment/location
CHANGE OF STATUS: Submit Request to Close SEVIS Record Form if you are changing from F-1 to another status (i.e. H1B, Green Card, etc), OR if you are permanently departing from the US
STEM OPT CHECK-IN: Submit STEM OPT Check In Form (6,12,18, and 24 months) every 6-months to process your SEVIS Data validation while on STEM OPT, including I-983 progress and final evaluations for 12 and 24-month check-ins.
When should I start looking for jobs?
- Early! It does take time to identify jobs and prepare CPT or OPT applications, so start to plan two or more semesters in advance.
What should NOT be included on a US Resume and/or cover letter?
- Immigration Status
- Personal information (religion, age, gender, marital status, etc.)
What if an employer asks about your work authorization during an interview?
- It is illegal for an employer to ask about your immigration status; however, they can ask if you have authorization to work in the U.S. and if you will need visa sponsorship now or in the future. Prior to an interview make sure you understand your work authorization options.
If you are planning to search for jobs in the United State, be sure you understand the requirements for students on F-1 visas, CPT, and OPT.
If you have questions, are looking for advice or want to talk through your career related thoughts, we would love to meet with you! Click HERE to schedule an appointment!
We will continue to update this community as we become aware of additional resources and opportunities.
Working abroad for the summer can be an intriguing possibility. More than anything else, getting a summer season job abroad is interesting and thrilling like no other.
If you’re the type who loves adventures and taking on an obstacle, why …
A job outside the nation provides a potentially life-changing and satisfying experience. Make good use of this valuable chance to develop your capabilities and talents as well as develop your skills within a foreign environment. More than anything else, getting …